It's been a real long while that I have blogged.....some commitments take away all your attention sadly.However, it is always delightful to write a new post when in reality the drafts are full of posts that need to see the light of the day. Here, I present Chocolate and Walnut Bars....every bite is yumm..... as seen in the picture.
It is rich in taste though and wholesome with nuts and butter & a lovely crumble as the topper ...........a simple and quick bars , a must try ......
Walnut cookie dough
Walnuts- 1 cup
Sugar- 1/2 cup
Salt- 1/4 tsp
Vanilla extract-2 tsp
Grated lemon zest- 2 tsp
Chilled Unsalted butter- 1 cup ( 8 oz.)
All purpose flour- 1 3/4 cups
Chocolate Raspberry filling
Raspberry preserve- 1/2 cup
Semi sweet chocolate cut into chunks- 6 oz.
Nutty crumble topping
Sugar- 2 tbs
All purpose flour- 1/4 cup
Walnuts- 1/4 cup
- Finely process nuts in a food processor and set aside.
- Combine egg yolks, sugar,salt,vanilla,lemon zest and butter in the food processor .
- Start with 10-12 pulses and the continuously pulse for 5 seconds until combined
- Add flour and walnuts and process for five seconds
- Scrape down and continue processing till the dough begins to form sticky crumbs but does not come together as a ball.
- Put dough in a plastic bag or a wrap and press together to form a ball. Chill for one hour.
- Preheat oven at 175-180C - I kept it at 180C as that is the safest temperature in my oven.
- Remove a small portion of the dough and put it aside in the refrigerator.
- Pat the remaining dough evenly on a square tin..let it reach it corners.
- Spread the preserve evenly with a spatula.
- Toss the chopped semi sweet chocolate all over the preserve.
- In a food processor - pulse sugar, flour, walnuts and the saved dough to a crumble.
- Sprinkle the crumble all over the chocolate bits.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes. The top may be a little sticky to touch but that should set while the bars cool.
- Cut into squares and serve.
From the book -Faye Levy's Chocolate Sensations as suggested by our Baking Partner Suja Manoj of Kitchen Corner - Try it . Thank you Suja and Swathi for this wonderful challenge for Baking Partners May 2014